Photo Credit: www.sxc.hu

Even when I was still a child, I find myself to be reflective. I often contemplate every event, every new faces, my wants and aspirations, my strengths and weaknesses, all the variables that make this life to be.

I can’t stop thinking about the meaning of our existence and how can I ‘live’ it not just have a taste of it. As a result, I frequently assess who I am and try to be aware of who I need to be in this life.

I possess traits unique to me. They are not on my brother and I can’t point to whom I’ve inherited it, or when I’ve developed it. My tastes and preferences on wide varieties of things are different from most people. I’m unique.

I’m an introvert, a person who wants to be sitting in the shade of a tree alone doing my own activities. Especially when I was young, I’m socially uneasy, difficult to talk to, or just aloof. Many are saying that my words for the whole day will not exceed one hundred. Some are appreciative, some are having fun taunting a person like me. One thing I know, I’m different.



I’m an observer. I want to gaze not just glance, to hear the whole song not just the chorus. I want to feel all the emotion available in an event. I don’t know for others, but there’s an intricate interpreter inside me that wants to extract meaning in every situation I find myself in. I’m weird they said, but truth be told, I never wanted to be normal.

I’m sensitive, maybe overly sensitive. I can attend to the deeper meaning in every words spoken. I don’t know how I can do it, but I can sense immediately if the person is authentic or hypocrite in their words. I’m judgmental and critical.

It became clear to me that I’m holding an image of a person I see myself to be. I have a written identity in my soul that I’m constantly projecting on my outward self. An identity that is painted with my upbringing, opinions, truths, and lies. I have an invisible ‘Identity’ or I.D. that is hanged into my innermost being. The way I think, speak, or act is interweaved to the person I see myself to be.

On his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey said that we have our own unique lenses on how we see things and other people, he called these lenses as paradigms. We see others not as they are but as who we are. Our paradigms may be shaped by correct principles, sound morals, or the Bible. Or it may be smeared by the bad influences from our culture, music, or mass media.

The ultimate paradigm, the one who will affect other paradigms is the paradigm we have on ourselves, who we are, what’s our worth, what’s our purpose, what’s our identity.

Our identity is a tweet length combination of words that resonates deep meaning in us. It’s the foundation of who we are, what we say and what we do.

Every day we wake up, and continue to live, we are living this statement. We may have written it or not, but it is our constant message to ourselves on how do to life. It’s like an invisible I.D. that describes it all.

All living things have their identity. A lion acts like a lion because he know that he is a lion. An eagles soars in the sky because eagles are meant to do it. A plant gives life-giving oxygen to others because the Creator identified them as life-givers.

What’s your I.D.? Knowing this are not only for the contemplatives. If you want to be satisfied at the end of each day, you must know your identity, rewrite it if necessary, and live by it to the best of your ability. You must write the statement and drive yourself by it.

Do you see yourself as a person that is counted, and appreciated? Or a person who is destined to be ignored and rejected. A person with worth or a person that is worthless?

Consciously or not, we live our identity. In our words, actions, and hopes, observer can’t help but to notice.

  • “I’m a son rejected by my own father.”
  • “I’m an engineer building beautiful buildings in the city.”
  • “I’m a former celebrity.”
  • “I’m the most faithful husband in the world.
  • “I’m a failure.”
  • “I’m a walking calculator.”
  • “I’m the smartest student in the campus.”
  • “I’m just a balut (duck egg with a developed embryo) vendor.”
  • “I’m a driver.”
  • “I’m a pretty woman that boys are dreaming about.”
  • “I’m the guitarist of the band.”
  • “I’m the father of that successful man.”
  • “I’m a master web developer.”
  • “I’m a Baptist.”
  • “I’m a comedian, buddy!’
  • “I’m a giver.”
  • “I’m a star tennis player.”
  • “I’m an Apple fan boy.”
  • “I’m a graphics artist.”
  • “I’m the boss of this department.”
  • “I’m the only right person in this world.”
  • “I’m the leading Bible scholar.”
  • “I’m the leader of this ministry.”
  • “I don’t know myself.”

People may live their life with their identity instituted on things that can crumble in this unpredictable life, they won’t do it intentionally, but the sad truth is they are doing it! Some identities are fixated to the secondary things in life. When their life ended, they will inevitably feel that they lived a second-grade life.

Some identities are consist solely with work that they forget that they have family waiting for them at home. Others are so ‘churchy’ that they even forget the core message of their church. Many lived their life solely for themselves and then wonder at the end why nobody shows up at their funeral.

Comfortable in the ear or not, most of us are living with an identity that is worthless with eternity in mind. Tears are inevitable when our identity are not based on ones that are designed to endure the limitation of time.

Have you ever sat down with a piece of paper and a pen to spill your soul and write your identity? Or listen to the One who really knows yours?

What's Your Identity? Part 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment